Why are eggs good for weight loss?
1. Eggs are nutritious and low in calories
A large hard-boiled egg contains 78 calories and several important nutrients, including:
- lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants that support healthy eyesight
- vitamin D, which promotes bone health and immune function
- choline, which boosts the metabolism and helps with foetal brain development
2. Eggs are rich in protein
Protein aids weight loss because it is extremely filling, and eggs are a good source of protein, with one large egg providing approximately 6 grams.
3. Eggs can boost the metabolism
Eating a high-protein diet can enhance the metabolism through a process called the thermic effect of food. It happens because the body needs to use extra calories to digest and process nutrients in food. Therefore, eating eggs and other high-protein foods may help people to burn more calories than eating carbohydrates or fats. According to the findings of a 2014 study:
- Protein increases a person’s metabolic rate by 15–30 percent.
- Carbohydrates increase the metabolic rate by 5–10 percent.
- Fats increase the metabolic rate by as much as 3 percent.