TUESDAY TIP – LOW CARB BREAD ALTERNATIVES
Bread has been a staple food for humans for thousands of years and is a key component of many people’s diets. Modern bread usually contains refined wheat, which is relatively high in carbohydrates (carbs). Reducing the number of carbs in the diet by eliminating bread may help some people lose weight or reduce their risk of specific disorders.
But what can you use to replace it?
Here are some ideas……..
1. Cloud bread, or Oopsie bread, is very popular with low-carb and keto dieters. Cloud bread is a protein-rich alternative to regular bread and makes an excellent sandwich base or English muffin replacement
2. Baked eggplant disks
3. Large Portobello mushrooms as burger buns
4. Big iceberg lettuce leaves can make fresh, flexible wraps
5. A gently steamed collard green leaf is a more durable option for wraps and may provide some extra nutrients
6. Cabbage has a flavour that may be preferable for specific foods. A steamed or blanched cabbage leaf, prepared in the same way as collard greens, makes an ideal wrap for small, flavourful items, such as wontons, spring rolls, and dumplings
7. Nori sheets are easy to use to make a wrap. They have a slightly salty taste and pair well with a range of foods, including hummus and eggs. However, Nori sheets can become soggy quickly, so it is best to keep them separate from the filling until it is time to eat the wrap
8. A base of cauliflower and eggs can make a simple, low-carb pizza crust
9. Zucchini pasta is a low-carb alternative to pasta that can also be used as lasagna
10. Almond flour is a great alternative in baked products. It is possible to make baked, flour-based products, such as muffins and pancakes, both low-carb and gluten-free
11. Sweet potato toast – Sweet potato has become quite popular as an alternative to bread. Cut slices that are 2cm thick and toast them 2 or 3 times or until they are brown on the outside and soft on the inside. It works well with a variety of savory and sweet toppings, including eggs and avocado or peanut butter, banana, and cinnamon