TUESDAY TIP FROM OUR DIETITIAN – QUICK, EASY VEGETABLE SOUP
As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, nothing is more satisfying than a bowl of warm soup. Packed full of essential vitamins to ward off colds, this healthy vegetable soup might become your new family favourite! Cook up a big pot ahead of time so it’s ready to serve when you are cold and hungry.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- I small bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 tin diced tomato
- 1 tin brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 litre of reduced salt vegetable stock
Place a large saucepan on medium heat along with a dash of extra virgin olive oil. Add diced onion and crushed garlic to the saucepan and cook until soft and golden. Add spices and coriander and stir until combined. Add celery, sweet potato, canned tomatoes, brown lentils, baby spinach and reduced salt vegetable stock. Bring to boil and then turn down to simmer for 25-30 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft and soup has thickened.