TUESDAY TIP FROM OUR DIETITIAN – CARBS
Carbohydrate, known as a macronutrient, includes breads and cereals, natural sugars (glucose in fruit, lactose in milk products), added sugars (lollies, cordial) and starchy vegetables.
Carbohydrates provide us with the energy we need to perform day to day activities. They are the most efficient fuel for working muscles.
For carbohydrates, look for whole grains, beans and legumes, starchy vegetables (such as potatoes and sweet potatoes) and fruit. The combination of resistant starch, fibre and water content will help you feel fuller for longer.
Choose whole grain varieties as they are digested much slower than refined and lower fibre varieties giving a slower release of energy (low GI).
Quality carbohydrates include:
- Whole grain breads, rolls, or wraps
- Whole grain cereals: such as rolled oats, barley, whole wheat varieties
- Wholemeal pasta, brown rice
- Fruit and vegetables
- Legumes like chickpeas, beans, lentils
- Dairy foods like milk and yoghurt