TUESDAY DIETITIAN TIP – APPETITE REGULATION
To regulate our appetite, our bodies have a system in place and this system involves two pathways:
Where we eat to get the energy our body needs and to keep our biological system balanced (homeostasis).
Where we eat for pleasure (based on sight, smell, and taste)
This system can be shaped by social cues, learned behaviour, environmental factors, hormones, and our genetics.
If our natural appetite regulation system is disrupted, the Hedonic pleasure system starts bullying our Homeostatic energy-balancing system.
Tips to support your natural appetite:
- Recognize your body’s system and signals.
- Eat slowly and mindfully.
- Create a healthy eating environment. Limit the use of smartphones, TV or computers while eating.
- Eat whole, fresh, minimally processed foods.
- Eat fewer processed, highly rewarding foods. Over time you will find the cravings will decrease.
- Do not eliminate or label food as ‘good’ or ‘bad’. Form a positive relationship with all food.