Because exercise has been proven to increase vitality and energy, lower the risk of disease, and prolong life, an exercise program should be a part of every seniors life. Empower specialises in understanding the body as it ages. Our certified and experienced trainers will provide a safe, effective workout for anyone regardless of age. We have a variety of senior programs designed to meet your fitness needs and goals. Our personal trainers can work around any illness or injury in order to provide you with a fitness routine that is right for you and your abilities.
The World Health Organisation recommends that “all seniors should get at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise per day as even moderate exercise can improve the health of seniors, who are weak, frail, or have disease associated with aging.”
Exercise is important for good senior health because it:
- STRENGTHENS MUSCLES: Recent clinical trials have proven that light strength training can improve muscle mass by over 3.8% and strength by over 11.3% at the end of a 12 week program for seniors aged from 60 years to 98 years.
- INCREASES FLEXIBILITY AND BALANCE: The most common injury for seniors is a slip-and-fall that breaks a hip. These accidents usually occur in the home. By increasing flexibility and balance, seniors are less likely to fall and break a hip. It has been proven that seniors who suffer a fall become more fragile that those who don’t and also suffer from an increased risk of dementia and depression – therefore prevention should be a priority.
- LOWERS CHOLESTEROL AND BLOOD PRESSURE: High cholesterol and high blood pressure are two of the most common complaints of seniors. Regular exercise is shown to reduce both and improve senior health.
- Eases Stiffness and Pain in the Joints: Each year, millions of seniors are disabled by various forms of arthritis. Exercise eases stiffness and the pain of arthritis as the joints stretch and become flexible.
- Decrease “thin skin syndrome” that results in bleeding tears in the skin of seniors.
- Increase life expectancy by as much as twenty years.
- Prevent diseases such as diabetes, colon cancer and stroke.
- Increases mental capacity
Science has concluded that seniors who exercise on a regular, daily basis have DNA that is up to nine years younger than those who do not exercise. In addition, personal training for seniors results in seniors who are happier, more active, and who eat correctly. A well-balanced diet is also necessary for anti-aging fitness. Empower personal trainers are experienced in fitness and nutrition counselling for seniors.